Yoga As Therapy For Back Problems March & June 2020, London, UK.
Learn how to integrate people with back problems into classes and/or how to assess different people with different kinds of back problem and holistically apply suitable yoga techniques for the koshas of body, breath/vital energy and mind.
This is a 4 day training on using yoga as therapy for back problems (£400). It is separated into 2 levels, taking place on two separate weekends, which can also be done individually, as stand alone workshops (£215 each).
This is not a one size fits all view of therapy for back pain, but a tailored and holistic approach. You will learn about some of the most common conditions affecting the back, how to determine which yoga asanas could work for DIFFERENT individuals with similar conditions and which to avoid.
We will also include how to work effectively with breath and techniques for the mind (using the koshas), in order to help relieve pain, mobilise and strengthen the spine, rehabilitation and problem prevention.
WEEKEND 1 – March 28-29th
Integrating students with back problems into classes
This workshop will contain theory, as well as practical work, and is aimed at yoga teachers and trainee teachers.
- Anatomy and pathology of common conditions such as; herniated disc, facet joint sprain, sciatica, arthritis, common postural imbalances
- Red flag symptoms and contraindications
- The koshas – the levels of being
- Posture and the physical and psychological aspects of common postural imbalances
- Corrective sequences for common postural imbalances
- How to maintain the integrity of the spine in sitting
- Pain relief
- Relaxation positions and techniques
- Movements and poses for different types of problem
- Breath work for healing and stress relief
WEEKEND 2 – June 13-14th
One to one / small group yoga therapy for back problems
This weorkshop will also contain both theory and practical work and is aimed at experienced yoga teachers and yoga therapists, working one to one and in small therapeutic groups.
- Further conditions including sacroiliac joint dysfunction, spondylolisthesis, scoliosis,kyphosis, lordosis, osteoporosis
- Detailed postural and movement assessment and recording
- Specialised movement approaches and poses for different types of problem
- Simple hands on bodywork techniques derived from osteopathy
- Acupressure points to help release energy blocks
- Prana vayus and the breathing mechanism
- Pranayama and balancing the energy body
- Engaging and directing the healing power of mind
• Attendance at both weekends
• Successful completion of written course assignments
WHAT PREVIOUS STUDENTS HAVE SAID
“Thanks a lot for the workshop last weekend. It was brilliant…lots of information. I can’t believe you used to run that as a one day workshop! I wonder if you would consider making it even longer? Maybe two weekends?” 2017
“Excellent balance of information, experiential work; very good structure re-eliciting our aims / needs, presenting info and giving us interactive experiences, then a chance to apply what we’d learned and get feedback on this.” 2018
“I thought Anna was great, she really knows her stuff and shared her knowledge with us in a clear, straight forward and fun way. I really enjoyed the course and learnt a lot!” 2018